Whether you love it or hate it, fall is just around the corner for Georgia homeowners, which means that it’s time to get your house in shape for the cooler months ahead. Although fall can be one of the busiest seasons for homeowners preparing for winter, it’s also the best time to address and repair any damages before the first frost sets in. Here are some fall home maintenance ideas courtesy of Three Brothers Painting that will keep you cozy and warm all winter long.
- Check your home’s foundation for cracks and caulk around the areas where masonry meets siding, where pipes or wires enter the house, and around the windows and door frames to prevent heat from escaping.
- Inspect exterior walls to see if any paint is peeling or blistering in the house or exterior buildings. Peeling paint is a sign that existing paint film is deteriorating, leading to more expensive repairs in the future.
- After all the leaves have fallen, clean out your gutters and downspouts, flush them with water, inspect joints and tighten brackets if necessary.
- Weather-strip your garage door(s). Make sure the seal between your garage door and the ground is tight to prevent drafts and keep small animals and insects out.
- Pressure wash your porch and deck furniture, and store outdoor furniture and grills in a protected area.
Interior Fall Maintenance
- Have a heating professional check your heating system. Furnace and air filters need to be replaced frequently to allow heating and cooling systems to operate properly.
- Check your fireplace damper for soot buildup, and make sure to remove bird nests or any other blockages that can pose a fire hazard.
- Have a pest control service protect your home from unwanted guests that want to come in and stay warm.
- Clean/vacuum heating ducts and grills.
- Check and/or replace your fire extinguishers, and test smoke and fire alarms.