Spray paint can be a fun DIY way to revamp any space in your home. With a can of spray paint in your hand, your options are only limited by your imagination. Let’s take a look at a few projects we like to use spray paint for.
- Upcycling old furnishings. Clean up imperfections on an old dresser, coffee table, or end table using spray paint. Get creative by painting drawers a separate color.
- Add a pop of color to accessories. Picture frames, candlesticks, vases and more can be brought to life with a fresh coat paint. Take it to the next level by using tape to make your own unique designs.
- Turn a blank canvas into abstract art. An easy (and cheap) way to make a bold focal point to any room is to create art with your favorite spray paint colors.
- Recycle trash into treasure. Turn those empty beer bottles into unique vases or those used tin cans into indoor planters for your herb garden.
However you decide to use spray paint for your next home decor project, it’s sure to be a blast.
Spray Paint Tips
First, make sure you’ve got all necessary equipment before beginning your project. You’ll need:
- Newspaper or large drop cloth
- Tape (optional)
- Sandpaper (optional)
Once you’ve compiled your supplies, make your next DIY home project an overwhelming success by following these simple tips.
- Start with a test pattern to determine the ideal speed and distance you’ll need to spray.
- For plastic spray paint projects, use a paint designed specifically for plastic.
- Keep your hand moving with clean, wide swipes. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a clumpy, runny mess.
Don’t forget: Keep harmful mist and solvents at bay by wearing a respirator. You won’t even notice the smell and you’ll be able to fully concentrate on the project at hand.